People in the corporate world are transforming faster than ever. They are distracted, impatient and overloaded with information. Their expectations, training needs, and learning preferences are diverging from the well-beaten paths we’ve mapped out in the past. People are busy, they multi-task, and work from anywhere, including their mobile devices.
As human resource support systems, we are always in the race to better understand our target audience and adapt our learning methodologies to better suit their psyche. Traditional E-learning although impressive and practical, has not been successful in impacting our employees in motivating them to apply the intended knowledge. This has presented a gap in our learning and development strategy.
Let’s look at a few areas of alternative knowledge sources that assist in fuelling development
- The Individual is always interested in upgrading his/her skills so that they can keep moving ahead in their careers and lives
- There is a lot of on-the-job learning which gives the individuals the required knowledge to perform more impactfully at their jobs
- All individuals have managers, mentors and role models who are wonderful sources of inspiration and knowledge needed to up-skill themselves
However, the millennial mindset leads to lack of patience. Development itself seems to be in the danger of losing traction and its importance in the larger list of priorities.
This is where the debacle lies, of an audience who is losing faith in traditional practices very quickly, and inducing right knowledge which is still an important agenda for most business structures. This catch 22 needs new thinking and new practices.
Some primary research has showcased that bite-sized is the right size. Small and relevant buckets go information, customized for every individual has shown positive signs. Useful content that adjusts to smaller screens of any OS as well as flexible enough to switch from mobile to desktop as and when required. Snack-able content also makes it easier for them to savor every lesson step after step—something that’s not possible with lengthy materials.
Benefits of Bite-Size Learning
Satya Nadella, the CEO of Microsoft said, “The true scarce commodity of the near future will be human attention.” According to a study by technology giant Microsoft, the attention span of people has fallen from 12 seconds to 8 seconds — thanks to the mobile revolution and an increasingly digitized lifestyle.
Here are the possible top 5 reasons why Bite-sized learning is going to be the next wave of revolution for corporate development:
- Enhanced Learning: Everything we learn is processed through “Working Memory”. Research says that “Working Memory” can only carry 3 to 5 bits of information at any given time. Bite-sized learning reduces the cognitive overload on working memory and hence increases knowledge retention and recall.
- Right in ‘time of need’: Bite-sized learning focuses on a single topic, task, or learning objective at a time. Stand-alone modules make it highly suited for “right in time” online training. Learners can easily access bite-sized courses on their mobile phones, pick the exact topic they want to learn in the hour of need, without having to go through large amounts of training material.
- Learning ‘on the go’: Mobile now represents 65% of digital media time, while the desktop is quickly becoming a secondary screen for an increasing number of digital users. Bite-sized learning on mobile enables learners with truly anywhere anytime learning.
- A Higher sense of achievement: Learners enjoy learning and feel a higher sense of achievement with Bite-sized learning. Completing 2–3 bite-sized modules gives a better sense of achievement than being halfway through one long term traditional training program that takes up a significant amount of time.
- An increase in ROI: Bite-sized learning reduces the overall duration and cost of training delivery, leading to an increase in ROI on training budgets. Bite-sized learning provides quick and impactful learning that fits into the schedule of even the busiest person.
Let’s look at a few examples where ALLAVANCE is delivering customized Bite-Sized Content for various target groups (leadership, sales, enabling functions ) for our partner clients.
Methods of delivery – Desktop
Lots of different possibilities and options based on the LMS in use. Reminders, personalized learning bots, learning categories, different content for different functions, assessments and quizzes to understand the impact.
Methods of delivery – Mobile
Some sample content created/compiled
- Leadership Content
- Design Philosophy and Business Strategy – Design philosophy and business strategy lessons taken straight out of the trash can. http://www.allavance.com/blog/design-philosophy-business-strategy/
- Achieving Efficiency through the 5S Methodology – The 5S Method is a standardized process that when properly implemented creates and maintains an organized, safe, clean and efficient workplace. http://www.allavance.com/blog/5s-methodology/
- Sales Content
- Presentation Skills – Presentations can be daunting. Follow some of these simple rules which can help you execute effective presentations. Read here for more. http://www.allavance.com/blog/presentation-skills/
- New Year Resolutions – Whether you believe in the practice of making a resolution or not, the beginning of a new year is certainly the best time to work on forming new habits. It’s a fresh start to leave the past behind or build on the progress you’ve already made in the prior year. Let’s start by forming resolutions that are actually attainable like these: http://www.allavance.com/blog/resolutions-salesteams/
- Enabling Functions (support – HR, IT, Admin…)
- The Eisenhower Matrix – The Eisenhower Matrix is one of the simplest, yet, very effective method for prioritizing Tasks for better Time Management. At any level of experience, each one of us should attempt to influence our lives to imbibe this learning. Small chunks of change will bring about monumental transformation over time. You can also view this short video to understand how you can apply it yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czh4rmk75jc
- Learning from Children – On Children’s Day let us celebrate the essence of being childlike and focus on the Leadership traits that we can learn from children. The video below is an interesting representation of how this can be applied at work. Happy learning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcnPRriFRY
- Some simple quizzes which are used to judge the penetration of knowledge. This will assist in understanding effectiveness
ALLAVANCE would like to invite any discussions related to Bite-Size Learning as we are certain that it is the future of sustainable learning and will be a part, if not the whole, of the talent development strategy for any company. Please feel free to connect with us on email@example.com to start a discussion on the same.
Signing off for now…
COO – ALLAVANCE HR Consulting